Flow CSV Viewer remembering layout

Support questions for Flow CSV Viewer and Editor.
kasskas

Flow CSV Viewer remembering layout

Post by kasskas »

Hi, and thanks for the great tool :!:
I am analyzing CSV files with multiple entries, so I like to move the layout around. What I am noticing, is that when I open a new CSV file, if the header matches, it applies same layout. I guess it is cached somewhere. Is it possible to disable this behavior / feature? Or at least manually reset the layout?
I have installed version from MS store, 1.1.5
Reproduction using test files:
Open test.csv
Put both values to the same group
Open test2.csv
Both use same layout, even it is different file
Attachments
testFiles.7z
(195 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times
Waveworks

Re: Flow CSV Viewer remembering layout

Post by Waveworks »

Hello, and thanks! Unfortunately it's not possible to disable this feature entirely, and you definitely have a point, it should be possible to disable it. I'm noting that for the next version.

There are a few things you can do though, depending on how you want your layout instead of the current logic:
  • First of all, ensure that Apply variable view settings to all open tabs under the Data Viewer tab in the Preferences dialog is unchecked. It's unchecked by default, but if you checked it, it makes things worse. :D
  • If you want your variables to be distributed into groups depending on their types and values (as opposed to how they were grouped in another file), you can change the Auto distribute variables into groups on opening setting under the Data Viewer tab to Always.
  • If you want to save the layout of a file so that it reapplies that layout next time you open it, you can check Save variable view settings with project under the General tab. Then, if you add your file to a project (by selecting Add <filename> in the Project menu and save the project file, the next time you open the file from the project, it will apply the saved layout rather than applying the layout from other files.
I'm guessing you'd rather just have all variables in one group with no display settings applied when you open the file, but I'm afraid that's not possible in the current version.

Best regards,
Gustaf
kasskas

Post by kasskas »

Thanks for quick reply. Best customer service I have ever seen :D I will test your suggestions.
Out of curiosity, is there some sort of cache file which I could delete? I don't have any custom settings, so if all customizations are lost I don't mind.
Waveworks

Post by Waveworks »

Thank you, always happy to help! Yes, it's the application's user configuration file located in AppData\Roaming\Waveworks\Flow in your user directory. If you quit Flow and delete that file, or just the <setting name="VariableSettings"> ... </setting> element of it, and then restart, all the layout settings should be gone. However it will start storing new layout settings as soon as you start working with the variables, so it's a bit of a Sisyphus task to keep them gone...

Best regards,
Gustaf