Saving internally changed parameters

Support questions for Flow CSV Viewer and Editor.
Jihene

Saving internally changed parameters

Post by Jihene »

Hi Gustaf,

I am using Flow CSV Viewer, I have a csv file generated with a python code and i added it to a project (.flp) in CSV Viewer.
For example when I untick or hide some signals of the open .CSV file or even change the colors of the plots or add a formula, those changes are saved because when i quit CSV Viewer and reopen it, I find the latest changes that I made. My question is : where are these parameters saved, when I open the project (.flp) with notepad, it only shows me the name of the CSV file added to the project. Also, there are no changes made in the .CSV file (for example when i hide a signal variable, the corresponding column is not deleted from the .CSV file).
I would like to know if I can have access to the saved parameters and where can I find that.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Jihene
Waveworks

Re: Saving internally changed parameters

Post by Waveworks »

Hello Jihene,

Sure! By default, all your user settings, including the visual settings for the plots, are stored in the ~/AppData/Roaming/Waveworks/Flow/user.config file in your user directory. The plot settings specifically are stored in a setting called "VariableSettings" whose value is a long string of variable names and their settings joined with semicolons. However, if you have checked "Save variable view settings with project" in Preferences under the General tab, the plot settings for each file will also be stored in the project (.flp) file, and when you open the file from the project tree, these settings will have priority over the settings in your user.config file.

Actually someone else asked something similar recently in this forum - check the thread "Flow CSV Viewer remembering layout"; maybe it's useful for you too.

In general, this part of the application is unfortunately a bit complicated and unmanageable, so I'm rewriting it so it will work differently in the next version.

Best regards,
Gustaf
Jihene

Post by Jihene »

Hello,

Thank you very much, it's clear. It helps a lot ! :)

Best regards,
Jihene
Jihene

Post by Jihene »

Hello Gustaf,

I have another question concerning the structure of an .flp project. If I have only one .CSV file which contains all the data that I want to visualize and I attach this file to a project in Flow CSV Viewer, can I divide the visualization of the data into different sheets ? I mean visualize some signals of the attached .CSV file in a sheet and other signals of the same .CSV file in another sheet.
I am asking this question to know if I have to prepare different .CSV files, each with the corresponding data that I want to visualize, and add them to a Flow CSV Viewer project or is it sufficient to have one main .CSV file with all the data and then divide the data into different sheets in Flow CSV Viewer.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,
Jihene
Waveworks

Post by Waveworks »

Hi again Jihene,

No unfortunately it's not possible to have the same file open under multiple tabs, so I think you'll have to create separate files.

Best regards,
Gustaf
Jihene

Post by Jihene »

Hi Gustaf,

Ok and if I have separate .CSV files in the same project, when I open them in different tabs, is there an option to have synchronised cursor placing and zooming ? I mean if I place my cursor at a certain place in one sheet, I automatically get my cursor placed at the same place in the other tabs. And similarly for zooming the graph.

Best regards,
Jihene
Waveworks

Post by Waveworks »

No I'm afraid there is no such synchronization between tabs/files. But you are aware that you can split your signals into groups under the same tab right? For groups under the same tab, cursor position and zoom is of course synchronized.
Jihene

Post by Jihene »

Hello Gustaf,

Yes, I'm aware of that. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Jihene
Jihene

Post by Jihene »

Hello again Gustaf,

Concerning the order of the signals in Flow CSV Viewer, in the beginning when I open a file, without changing any parameter, I don't have the same order as the order of the columns in my .CSV file. I just wanted to ask in which order do the plots appear if it's not that of the .CSV file, or if there is no specific order (randomly generated in the beginning).

Thank you in advance.
Waveworks

Post by Waveworks »

Hi again Jihene,

By default, the variables (i.e. signals) should indeed appear in the same order as in the CSV files. There are two reasons to why the display order would be different:
  1. If you previously have moved variables with the same names between groups, Flow will remember the group assignments and try to recreate the same grouping, also when you open other files. Variable group order takes priority over individual variable order. If you move back all variables into a single group, they should appear in the right order.
  2. The display order can be affected by sorting, which is enabled or disabled by clicking the headers Variable or Type in the top of the variable view. In this case you would see a grey triangle by one of these headers.
If you move all variables to a single group and disable sorting and they're still not in the same order as in the CSV file, then please let me know - you might have come across a bug!

Best regards,
Gustaf