Start Flow CSV View from command line

Support questions for Flow CSV Viewer and Editor.
BPF

Start Flow CSV View from command line

Post by BPF »

Hi,

I am finalizing an open source project that contains a library of fast and reentrant functions for data recording of embedded real-time system and a configurable tool for binary data decoding on a PC. Output files can be of a CSV type also. I recognized the Flow CSV Viewer to be a very useful tool and would like to integrate it in the batch files for my project demo. However, the software is installed into a folder
"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\31201Waveworks.FlowCSVViewer_1.1.5.0_neutral__w8e5zt2g9qm38\FlowViewer".
I assume that the folder name is different on a different computers. Because of this the demo batch files would have to be modified on every computer.

It there a way to start the viewer from a batch file - see the example of command that I use to start the Notepad++:
start "" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" output\*.log output\*.txt
This command starts Notepad++ on any computer in parallel with few other tools.

I would like to enable automatic display of CSV data after the data is transferred from an embedded system and decoded into a user friendly form.

Best regards,
Branko
Waveworks

Re: Start Flow CSV View from command line

Post by Waveworks »

Hello Branko,

I checked on my computer, and the path is exactly the same here, so I think the chances are good that it actually works on all computers. If not, maybe you can find some tips from here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1543363 ... mmand-line

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Gustaf
BPF

Post by BPF »

Hello Gustaf,

Thank you for the answer and suggestion. It looks that the start from batch file will work at least until the users update the Flow Viewer to a new version. The software version is part of the folder name (FlowCSVViewer_1.1.5.0_....). They will have to update the path name in the bacth files after the new version will be installed or add the Flow Viewers folder name to the PATH.

A batch file is used to get a snapshot of currently recorded embedded system data, start data decoding and display. During decoding several CSV and text log files are created. The Flow Viewer is called from a batch after that (together with i.e. Notepad++) to display the new data. I do not know any other method to push an App from a batch file to make refresh of data if the App is not in focus. If the Flow Viewer window is not in focus then the new CSV file contents will not be refreshed (i.e. if App window is on the second monitor). You have to click on the window to start the refresh of modified CSV file contents.

Best regards,
Branko
Waveworks

Post by Waveworks »

Ah ok, I see the problem and I understand that you want to minimize the hassle for your users. I'm afraid this use case is not really supported. I guess it would work better if Flow could be installed with a regular installer, like with Notepad++, but a regular installer would cost me quite some time and money (installer software, certificate etc), so I can't really do that for free. Let me know if you're interested in a custom paid project.

With regard to refresh when the file is updated, there's a preference called "Auto reload externally changed files" that can be set to "Immediately when detected". You should be able to enforce this preference on your users' computers with some scripting that overwrites or modifies the user configuration file at %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Waveworks\Flow\user.config.

Best regards,
Gustaf